The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) can offer income-eligible residents of Sacramento, Sutter, and Yuba Counties a credit to their utility bill.  HEAP is available for customers of PG&E, SMUD, or those who heat their home using wood, propane, or oil purchased from a vendor.  Along with the utility credit, clients will also receive valuable information about energy conservation and practical tips on how to save energy and keep your utility bill at a manageable level.

Priority for HEAP services this year are given to applicants that meet the following criteria. 

  • Income qualified
  • Have a high energy burden
  • Has a resident in the household that is part of a vulnerable population (i.e. seniors over 60 years of age, disable persons, and children under 5 years of age)

The amount of HEAP assistance is calculated based on household size, household income and the percentage of income spent on energy bills, known as the energy burden.


Other factors considered include funding availability and the cost of energy within the county where the household resides. HEAP provides one payment, ranging from $184-$306 every 12 months.

Please remember, HEAP is not an entitlement, but an assistance program.  HEAP will only credit one utility company and that credit will take 8-12 weeks to appear on your utility bill.  If you receive a HEAP credit, you are still responsible for paying your utility bill while the credit is being processed.


How to Apply

To apply for HEAP you must call to schedule an appointment or download the application online. If choosing to download the application, have the form completed and sent by mail.


Residents of Sacramento County should call (916) 567-5200. Phone lines are open Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. - 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. - 3:00 p.m. 

Residents of Sutter and Yuba Counties should call (530) 671-7590

Phone lines for Sutter and Yuba Counties are open Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. and 1:00p.m. - 3:00p.m.

Seniors and Disabled Persons

If you are the age of sixty years old or older or you are currently receiving disability income, you may contact HEAP to request an application and we will mail it to your home.



Copyright © 2014 All Rights Reserved. Community Resource Project, Inc. | Home | About Us | Programs | Agency Highlights | Contact Us